Tesi/ Thesis topics
AI/ML and Information systems for unconventional data
- Quality analysis of social network information in emergency situations. The thesis will focus on quality aspects of the information gathered from geolocated tweets, and in particular images, in particular analyzing the precision of the image geolocation. Paper to read if you are interested in this topic: link
- thesis topic: improving geoparsing with machine learning techniques
- Citizen science for monitoring climate impacts
Citizen Science for Monitoring Climate Impacts and Achieving Climate Resilience: the thesis will focus on the use of social media and other non-traditional data sources for more effective monitoring of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by citizens. A specific focus will be on new types or unusual occurrence rates of natural events.
* Corsi di studio compatibili (CSE, TLC,GEOINF).
- For the above theses there is the possibility of stay abroad at University of Geneva (funded)
- Scientific models: big data validation and aggregation at different levels of detail, and ML techniques for supporting the development of new models. Several theses are available in the area of investigating how, given a large set of experimental data and a set of existing models which should approximate them, it is possible to automatically evaluate the performance of the computational model models. The models deal with combustion data, but no preliminary knowledge in chemistry is required. The thesis is in the fields of information systems, data science, collaborative work and machine learning. Paper to read if you are interested in the thesis.
- Uncertainty of results of deep learning techniques
The thesis concerns the evaluation of graph-based representation of scientific data and the evaluation of uncertainty of results of deep learning techniques. Considered applications can be in one of the following areas: mathematical models for chemistry, tweet geolocation techniques, sensor data.
Corsi di studio compatibili (BIO, CSE, TLC).
- Offerte di tesi di ricerca presso aziende con tirocinio link
If you are interested in some of the topics, look at the suggested readings and then write me for an appointment.
- Information Systems (in Italian) – see information and teaching material on Beep
- Digital Technology (in English) – see information and teaching material on Beep
all course information and material is made available on the Beep platform
For Polimi IT Master students: Honours programme “Scientific Research in Information Technology” (link)
For Polimi Master students: Honours programme “Engineering for Sustainable Development” at Politecnico di Milano (link)
2018: IdeaLeague Doctoral School “Engineering Complex Systems with Big data and information Technology ECS-BIT’18” (link)
please send a message to barbara.pernici at polimi.it for an appointment